Text of Resolution 838-94
December 13, 1994
Re: COMPOSITION, MISSION, AND CHARGE OF THE SUBCOMMITTEE ON LONG-RANGE PLANNING
On recommendation of the superintendent and on motion of Mr. Ewing seconded by Ms. Gutierrez, the following resolution was adopted unanimously:
WHEREAS, On September 8, 1994, the Board of Education established the Subcommittee on Long-range Planning and formed a temporary subcommittee to develop a draft statement of the charter and mission of the Subcommission; andWHEREAS, On November 21, 1994, the temporary subcommittee submitted a draft statement of the composition, mission, and charge as an item of information and requested that this be scheduled for future Board action; now therefore be it
Resolved, That the following statement of the composition, mission, and charge of the Subcommittee on Long-range Planning be adopted:
The Subcommittee on Long-range Planning shall be comprised of three members of the Board, appointed in December of each year. One member shall be appointed for a one-year term, one for a two-year term, and one for a three-year term, by majority vote of the Board.
The Board shall annually name the chairperson of the Subcommittee. The chairperson shaII have the responsibility for establishing meeting dates as appropriate, and for developing agendas for meetings after consultation with other members of the committee.The Subcommittee shall report to the Board of Education at least twice a year on its pro proposed recommendations.The superintendent or his designee shall attend all meetings of the Subcommittee.The Subcommittee's meetings shall be open to the public and conducted in accord with the laws and regulations governing public meetings.
The Subcommittee on Long-range Planning shall have as its mission the development of effective approaches to long-range planning for the school system's instructional and support functions. It shall be an advocate for and play a leadership role in long-range planning and shall promote a long-term commitment to keeping all school system stakeholders involved and informed.
The Subcommittee shall have as its responsibilities:
- To provide a forum for considering the direction of the school system as a whole institution and for developing system
- To review and evaluate approaches to long-range planning and related management improvement and organization development practices in both public and private sector organizations. To recommend ways to implement appropriate planning and management innovations, to include necessary steps to build leadership, management, and staff commitment and skills.
- To make recommendations to the Board concerning strategic planning and the development and updating of a strategic plan for MCPS including recommendations as to definitions, process, format, content, and timelines.
- To review MCPS policies, existing and proposed, to assess their impact on strategic planning efforts.
- To solicit ideas and suggestions for long-range planning initiatives from sources external to Montgomery County as well as sources within the county, including the general public, business and community groups and organizations, parents, PTAs, employee organizations, staff, and elected officials.
- To review and analyze, with the help of the superintendent and school system staff, reports and recommendations for long-range planning initiatives from sources both external to and within the county.
- To review proposed policies and actions recommended by the superintendent or proposed changes to existing policies, to further long-range planning.
- To recommend a process by which the Board can provide ongoing leadership and advocacy for long-range planning, including methods for involving all those with a stake in the future of the school system.
- To recommend a process for informing and educating the public, elected officials, and MCPS staff on long-range planning, including strategic planning, and it goals.