Board of Education Meeting: August 24, 2011
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
- Full Agenda (PDF)
- Acknowledgement of a Quroum
- Approval of the Agenda; Recognition of the Montgomery County Public Schools Educational Foundation, Inc.
The Board of Education, in a 7-0 vote, approved a resolution to recognize the Montgomery County Public Schools Educational Foundation, Inc. The Foundation was created to provide supplemental financial resources to enhance academic enrichment opportunities for Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) students.
The Foundation supports schools, students and teachers by providing scholarship funds for MCPS students, funds for academic enrichment opportunities for students and staff, and grants to MCPS schools for after-school technology programs and instruction. Since its inception, the Foundation has awarded more than $1.325 million in scholarships.
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Consent Items
- Human Resources and Development
The Board approved the appointments of the following administrators:
- Kara B. Trenkamp, currently instructional specialist, Office of the Chief Technology Officer, as supervisor, Teaching and Learning Initiatives, Office of the Chief Technology Office.
- Anne Taylor, currently resource teacher, John F. Kennedy High School, as coordinator, Special Initiatives, Department of Enriched and Innovative Programs, Office of Curriculum and Instructional Programs.
- Readiness for Opening Schools
MCPS staff presented a video, titled "50 Days" which highlighted the numerous activities and detailed planning that has taken place over the summer to prepare for the opening of the 2011-2012 school year.
Among the highlights: Modernizations on two schools was finished—Cabin John Middle School and Farmland Elementary School—along with the addition of 105 classrooms at eight elementary schools. Staff also informed the Board that enrollment for the 2011-2012 school year is expected to be nearly 147,000 students.
- Board of Education Redistricting Plan
The Board, by a unanimous vote of members present, approved a resolution to approve Option 3 as its preferred redistricting plan. This plan will be submitted to the county's state legislative delegation for incorporation into a local bill to be introduced in the next session of the Maryland General Assembly.
According to Section3-901(a)(2) of the Education Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland, the boundaries of the five Board of Education districts in Montgomery County must be redrawn after each decennial census to bring the districts into conformance with the requirement that "each district shall be substantially equal in population."
- Board of Education Items
- Items of Information
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
How to Watch by Agenda Item
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose
the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch.
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think