Board of Education Meeting: September 26, 2011
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
Full Agenda (PDF)
- Acknowledgement of a Quroum
- Approval of the Agenda; Walk to School Day; National Disability Awareness Month; Maryland Family Engagement Month
The Board of Education passed the following:
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Consent Items
The Board appropriated funds from six different unanticipated grants for specific use within Montgomery County Public Schools. The six grants were received from:
- Healthy Eating and Healthy Lifestyles Youth Initiative
- Team Nutrition Refresh Project
- Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) Passthrough, Part B
- Educator Effectiveness Academy and Teacher Induction Academy
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS): Earth Science
- Maryland Model for School Readiness (MMSR)
- Secondary Common Core Preliminary Standards
The Board gave preliminary approval to the Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) Secondary English Language Arts Curriculum Framework and the MCPS Secondary Mathematics Curriculum Framework, for grades 6-12. These frameworks fully incorporate the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in English language arts/literacy and mathematics.
The CCSS, approved by the State Board of Education for implementation in all 24 Maryland school districts, emphasize reasoning and require of MCPS a renewed emphasis on instruction that engages students in problem-solving and creative and critical thinking.
The CCSS in English language arts/literacy also include anchor standards for literacy in science, history, social studies, and technical subjects—integrating literacy across content areas and reestablishing a shared responsibility for literacy instruction across subjects.
Incorporating the CCSS in the MCPS Secondary English Language Arts Curriculum Framework and the MCPS Secondary Mathematics Curriculum Framework will enhance our existing curriculum by providing greater clarity, focus, and challenge as we strive to articulate what all students should know and be able to do in order to succeed in the future.
These secondary curriculum frameworks are submitted pending analysis of additional stakeholder feedback and final approval at a future Board meeting. The elementary school standards aligned to the CCSS were previously approved by the Board.
- Continuation of Board of Education FY 2013 Operating Budget Interests
The Board continued its discussion of the members' interests for the FY 2013 budget and budgeting process. The discussion, which began at the Board's September 13, 2011 meeting, is an effort to define the specific roles of the Board in the budgeting process and the specific areas the members hope to see addressed in the FY 2013 budget.
Board members said they will also hear the priorities of the public during two "Community Conversations" events on the evenings of October 12 and October 27. For more information or to register to participate visit the Community Conversations website.
Superintendent of Schools Joshua P. Starr will submit an FY 2013 budget proposal to Board of Education in December.
- Board of Education Items
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
How to Watch by Agenda Item
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose
the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch.
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think