Board of Education Meeting: October 11, 2011
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
Full Agenda (PDF)
- Acknowledgement of a Quroum
- Approval of the Agenda; American Indian Heritage Month and Day; Montgomery County Public Schools Charity Campaign; National School Bus Safety Week
The Board of Education passed the following:
- A resolution declaring November as American Indian Heritage Month and the day after Thanksgiving as American Indian Heritage Day.
- A resolution encouraging MCPS employees to donate during the 2012 MCPS Charity Campaign, "MCPS Cares" October 24, 2011 through November 23, 2011.
- A resolution declaring October 17-21 as National School Bus Safety Week in Montgomery County Public Schools.
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Update on Enrollment and Capital Improvements Program
The Board of Education heard a report and discussed the FY 2012 enrollment in Montgomery County Public Schools and future enrollment and demographic trends for the county and the school district.
MCPS enrollment this school year is about 146,600 students, an increase of approximately 2,500 students from 2010-2011. Since 2007, total enrollment has increased in MCPS by more than 8,600 students.
Much of this growth has occurred in earlier grades, leading to capacity shortages in many elementary schools. However, growth is occurring—and will continue—in secondary schools as well.
An ambitious effort is needed to address a wide range of current and projected capacity shortages. The upcoming Fiscal Year 2013–2018 Capital Improvements Program will contain Superintendent Joshua Starr's recommendations for the coming six years and will be released on October 28, 2011.
- Presentation of Facilities Assessment with Criteria and Testing Report (School Modernizations)
The Board heard a report from the Facilities Assessment with Criteria and Testing (FACT) Committee, which is comprised of stakeholders from inside and outside Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS). The FACT assessment is the methodology used to rank schools for modernization.
The Board will take further action on the FACT report at a later meeting. Read the Board Memo
- Consent Items
The Board took action on the following items:
- Office of Human Resources and Development Monthly Report
- Final Approval of the Comprehensive Master Plan
The Board discussed and gave final approval to the 2011-2012 Montgomery County Public Schools Comprehensive Master Plan, which is required by state law. The master plan is based on information in the MCPS Strategic Plan, Our Call to Action, and the annual report on the strategic plan.
The comprehensive plan describes the goals, objectives, and strategies that the district is using to improve student achievement and meet Maryland's performance goals. State law also requires school systems to integrate state, federal, and local funding into their master plans.
The annual review of the Comprehensive Master Plan requires all 24 Maryland school systems to update the Maryland State Department of Education on compliance with provisions of the federal No Child Left Behind law and the effectiveness of federal grant programs.
- Final Action of World Languages Curriculum Framework
The Board gave final approval to a new World Languages Curriculum Framework, which outlines learning expectations for students participating in courses that provide direct instruction in a world language.
A draft of the framework was tentatively approved by the Board in July and made available for feedback from the public. Feedback was received from nearly 100 people.
- Board of Education Policies
The Board took the following action on policies:
- Took final action on Policy ACG, Access to Services, Programs, and Activities by Individuals with Disabilities and Rescission of Policy GBH, Employment of Individuals with Disabilities.
- Took tentative action on Policy KGC, Child Care, which will be sent out for public comment.
- Took tentative action on Policy ECM, Joint Occupancy of Montgomery County Public Schools Facilities, which will be sent out for public comment
- Board of Education Items
- Items of Information
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
How to Watch by Agenda Item
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose
the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch.
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think