Board of Education Meeting January 10, 2012
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
Full Agenda (PDF)
- Acknowledgement of a Quorum
- Approval of the Agenda; African American History Month; In Appreciation of Mr. Roscoe R. Nix
- The board unanimously approved the following:
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Strategic Priorities: Update on Professional Development
The Board of Education engaged in a broad discussion on the state of professional development for Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) staff. Professional development is the cornerstone of improving teaching and learning for every student, every day, and MCPS has done a good job providing learning opportunities to staff.
Superintendent of Schools Joshua P. Starr has identified professional development as one of three strategic areas of focus for the district in the coming year. The Board received an overview of current professional development efforts, discussed what excellent professional development looks like and heard about future plans for improving professional development across the district. Read the memo to the Board about Professional Development
- Consent Items
- Site Selection for an Upcounty Holding School
The Board approved the selection of the Emory Grove Center, at 1800 Washington Grove Lane, Gaithersburg, as the location for a new upcounty holding facility. The new holding facility will be used to house students and staff from schools that are in the process of being modernized or renovated. Currently, all four holding facilities for elementary schools are located in midcounty and downcounty areas. After evaluating nine sites for size, location, access, topography, physical condition, utilities availability, and cost, it was determined that the Emory Grove site would be the best option. A feasibility study will now be conducted to determine the scope and cost of the project. View the Board item.
- Site Selection for Northwest Elementary School
The Board approved a site for a new elementary school in the Northwest cluster. A Site Selection Advisory Committee (SSAC) reviewed possible locations and identified the best site as a private piece of property, known as Phillips Farm, on Schaeffer Road in Germantown. MCPS staff has attempted to negotiate with the land owner on an acceptable purchase price for the property, but those negotiations have not been successful. The Board approved beginning the process of condemning the land for public use, as allowed by Maryland state law. Read the Board item
- Human Resources and Development Monthly Report & Appointments
- The Board of Education approved the following administrative appointments:
- Kyle J. Heatwole, currently principal, Rock View Elementary School, as principal, Downcounty Consortium Elementary School #29, which will open on the McKenney Hills site in Silver Spring in August 2012.
- Ashley VanCleef, currently resource teacher, Special Education Compliance and Nonpublic Programs, Howard County Public School System, as assistant attorney, Legal Services, Office of Special Education and Student Services.
- Monthy Financial Report
- 2011 Annual Report on Our Call to Action: Pursuit of Excellence
The Board received the 2011 Annual Report on the MCPS strategic plan, Our Call to Action: Pursuit of Excellence. The Annual Report provides details on the district’s progress in fulfilling its commitment to providing every student the opportunity to learn at the highest levels and graduate from high school prepared for college and the world of work. Our Call to Action is the catalyst for continuous improvement and focuses on developing and implementing strategies and initiatives in curriculum, instruction, assessment, professional development, family and community partnerships, high-quality business services, and greater operational effectiveness. The Annual Report provides a comprehensive accounting of the school system’s performance on the established milestones and data points set forth in the 2010–2015 strategic plan. Read the Annual Report on the Strategic Plan.
- Board of Education Items
- Items of Information
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
How to Watch by Agenda Item
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose
the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch.
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think