GM Strong Grant!
funded by the Trawick Foundation
GMStrong! is a holistic in-school and after-school program designed to impact all Gaithersburg Middle School students through strength messaging to increase connectedness and resiliency and tackle social and emotional issues.
- Increase in student connectedness
- Increase in student engagement
- Increase in student well-being
GMStrong! partner organizations
Sources of Strength (SOS): In school program for ALL GMS students
- Evidence-based to prevent suicide, increase resiliency, connectedness, hope & well-being
- 70 Peer Leaders
- 15 Adult advisors
- In-school positive messaging campaigns based on 8 "sources of strength"
- Incorporated into every 8th Viking Time
Project Change (PC)
Project Change (PC) programs: After school programs for ALL GMS students
- Youth Empowered Service Club will enable students to tap into their passions by working on service projects for causes that concern them.
- You Have the Power! Bullying Prevention Peer Education Project will feature high school mentors working with middle school participants to raise awareness about the characteristics and consequences of bullying and how to be an ally to a target of bullying.
- Team of Stars will combine a musical theater experience that utilizes improvisation, theater games, and acting instruction to address issues such as intolerance and bullying, as well as life skills including leadership, confidence, and problem solving.
- Summer 2019 - Team of Stars Musical Theater Summer Camp is coming! Reserve your space now. June 25 - July 26 Mondays through Thursdays
More information in this registration.
Botvin LifeSkills Training: for GEMS
- Targeting already-identified at-risk girls (GEMS)
- 15-week evidence-based life skills activity plan
- Intern/Mentoring Support as well as involvement from GHS Diamonds
- 4 Field trips (i.e. Kennedy Center & Dinner, MD Ballet Theater of Arts & Movie Night)
- Work on community service project with "Guys of GMS"
Breaking My Heart
This video called “Breaking My Heart” was made by GMS students in the Project Change You Have the Power Club. It was designed to create awareness around using words to cause students pain. All GMS students watched the video on 2/13/17 in additional to listening to a town hall that reviewed behavior expectations.