- Mental Health Awareness Month - Check out the Full Calendar of Events!
- Giving Tree 2019 - Details below, cards available now, donations due by 12/6.
- Mental Health Week
- Wednesday, 11/20 - Meditation Session in the dance room at lunch
- Thursday, 11/21 - Yoga in the main gym at lunch
- Friday, 11/22 - Therapy dog day throughout the day & at lunch in the small gym
- Friday, 11/22 - Last Day to order your Thanksgiving Centerpiece from the Horticulture Club
- Friday, 11/22 - Football in State Quarterfinals at 7pm vs. Arundel HS
- Ticket Pre-Sale during lunch on Friday - 11:20-Noon
- ALL Tickets are $6 - MCPS IDs & Season Passes are NOT valid for admission
- No outside food or drink, no backpacks, no re-entry to the event
- Monday, 11/25 - Booster Club Fundraiser from 5-9 PM at Flower Child Rockville. When dining in or carrying out, be sure to mention the fundraiser. 20% of sales will be donated.
- Monday, 11/25 - JUNTOS is competing at the MCPS Latin Dance Competition at Strathmore Music Center from 7-9 PM, tickets are $10 in advance in Portable 1 or $35 at the door
- Senior Fees - Get a head start and pay your senior fees TODAY - Full details are in the flyer. Fees can ONLY be paid online at the low price of $65 through January 31st.
Giving Tree 2019!
This is the 10th annual QO Giving Tree and we have many students and families that are part of our community that could use our support to make their holiday season a little fuller and happier. Please consider taking a card from the main lobby and shopping for the person described then returning the unwrapped gifts and donations by December 6th to Mrs. Adams in room 128 or a secretary in the main office. We are also in need of gift cards for popular stores - Kohl's, Walmart, TJMaxx, Amazon as well as gift cards for Safeway and Giant so that we can provide each family with a holiday meal. If you have extra tissue paper, gift bags, boxes, tags, or ribbons/bows we will also accept those donations, please see our needs and sign-up to donate online. There are full details and history available online and we will be wrapping items on December 17th from 2:45 - 5:30pm for any student who wants to help and earn SSL hours.
Help support the QO Horticulture Club by ordering a Thanksgiving Centerpiece for $25, these wonderful centerpieces are a beautiful addition to your home decor or a great gift for your turkey day host! Details and order form are online, orders must be placed by Friday, 11/22.
Meeting for Parents of Students Currently Taking Health
There will be an informational meeting for parents of 10th graders currently enrolled in Health class, who may be interested in reviewing the materials for the Family Life / Disease Prevention Units on Tuesday, November 19 at 4:00 pm in Portable 8. A parent notification letter, with permission slip attached were distributed to the Health classes the week of October 21.
Information About Changes in AP Exams
On Friday October 25, 2019 a letter was distributed to all students who are currently enrolled in an AP class with information about registration and payment for AP classes this year in English and Spanish. Registration will be done through the College Board website, myAP Classroom, and the Online School Payment system will be used for payments. The registration deadline has moved up this year and will be November 4th. If you register after this date you will need to pay a $40 late fee in addition to the $94 exam fee. Additionally there will be a $40 fee if you register for an exam and then do not take it. Payments are not due until the spring, but you can pay at any time beginning now. Students who qualify for a fee waiver or are requesting financial assistance must complete the appropriate paperwork (English or Spanish) and submit it. If you have any questions, feel free to contact either of our AP Coordinators: Ms. Lyon(Victoria_Lyon@mcpsmd.org) in counseling or Ms. Nicholson(Jennifer_R_Nicholson@mcpsmd.org) in the media center.
Sprint 1 Million Project - Internet at Home
Do you have difficulty completing your work due to lack of internet at home? If so, you may qualify for a free device from Sprint! You must be - enrolled in an MCPS HS, not have reliable internet at home (no access, multiple students with 1 computer, dial up only), and meet income requirements. If eligible you can receive a device from Sprint with 10GB per month of free high-speed LTE data. Unlimited data is provided at 2G speeds if usage exceeds 3GB in a month. Get more information in the flyers – English, French, and Spanish.
Students can access resources shared during past QO.U classes by clicking here.
Student and Parent Portal
Need to access the MCPS Parent Portal or MCPS Student Portal, need more information about this - get all the details the the myMCPS Information Page. This page has information about setting up your account, what you can access via the portal and detailed instructions for using the portal. To access grades and class information through the MCPS Classroroom go to https://mcpsmd.instructure.com and to access attendance and long term information go to the Student/Parent portal https://portal.mcpsmd.org/public/. If you are having issues with your account or need your login information, please contact Mrs. Jennifer Nicholson, Media Specialist, via email to Jennifer_R_Nicholson@mcpsmd.org.
Students in need of Student Service Learning hours can look for current opportunities on the bulletin board in the red hallway on the first floor and sign-up for text or email reminders from remind.com - sign-up by texting @mrstshel to 81010. You may also look on the MCPS SSL website to view ongoing opportunities. All opportunities with a purple graduation cap are already approved by MCPS. If there is no graduation cap make sure you submit the Individual Student Service Learning Request form prior to serving your volunteer hours. See Mrs. Shelhorse if you have any questions concerning SSL or need help finding opportunities. More information can be found here.