Physical Education and Health
Each student is required to participate in the physical education program. Students participate in a variety of team and individual sport activities to develop the social skills of teamwork, sportsmanship, and cooperation within a framework of physical acticity.
All students will need the following materials for Physical Education classes:
1. Black or royal blue gym shorts and gray T-shirt. These should be marked with the
student’s name with a permanent marker.
2. Sneakers with laces. Shoes that slip on are not permitted.
3. Sweatshirts and sweatpants (any color). These will be needed when
cooler weather begins.
Students also participate in a nine-week health education program which includes curriculum on mental health; tobacco, alcohol, and drug use; personal and consumer health; disease prevention and control; family life and first aid.
The MCPS middle school interscholastic athletic program is a planned extension of the physical education instructional and intramural programs. Although the athletic program offers a higher level of competition, its primary purpose is to provide the opportunity for advanced skill development for all students with interests and/or talents in athletics. This program provides sports competition against other middle schools in our area after school.
John Poole Middle School offers four different sports to both boys and girls. Interscholastic athletics are open to all 7th and 8th grade students. The sports which are offered include softball and cross country in the Fall, basketball in the Winter and Soccer in the Spring. Sports teams are put together based on tryouts. If you have any questions about the program, please direct them to the Athletic Director.
All practices are held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 2:30-4:00
- Students must have a 2.0 GPA
- Student Activity fee paid
- Current physical exam (within the past two years) on file with the health room
- Permission forms signed
Athletic Coordinator-Kim Gerrie and Scott Willett
- Girl's Softball - TBD
- Boy's Softball - TBD
- Co-ed Cross Country - Ms. Jennifer Cohen
- Girl's Basketball- Mr. Willett
- Boy's Basketball- Mr. Cartwright
- Girl's Soccer- Mr. Willett
- Boy's Soccer- TBD
Intramural Coordinator-Kim Gerrie
Intramurals will be held after school on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays throughout the school year.