"What gets recognized gets valued." - Colleen Wilcox, Author and Teacher
Hello and Welcome to the 2019-2020 School Year!
The Quince Orchard Parent, Teacher, Student Association (QOPTSA) looks forward to working with every family and staff member to make this an amazing year. If you haven’t yet joined the PTSA please fill out the attached membership form and send it in to the office. Our first meeting is Tuesday, September 24th at 7PM in the Media Center. Mrs. Thomas will be joining us as we vote on our budget for the year and identify areas where the PTSA can show support to our QO Community. Greg’s Driving School will also be joining us and raffling off another Driver’s Education basket valued at $350! Please mark October 2nd on your calendars as we partner with Ledo Pizza in North Potomac for a QOTPSA Fundraising night. Ledo’s will donate a percentage of all sales between 5PM and 10PM in the dining room and take out. Be sure to mention QO PTSA so we get the credit!
Our amazing Staff Recognition committee is always looking for volunteers to help us with events to recognize our wonderful teachers and para-educators. We are also excited to host the annual College Fair on Thursday, October 10th in the QOHS Cafeteria and invite all families to stop by to speak to college representatives from over 40 colleges and universities.
If you have any questions or would like more information about your PTSA please send an email to QOPTSA.President@gmail.com. I look forward to seeing you on September 24th at 7PM in the Media Center!
News and Events
- Join the PTSA Today
- Help Support Your Child's Educational Goals - Join the PTSA
- Make a Difference in the Lives of Our Students - Volunteer
- Quarterly Meetings will now be held in the QO Media Center at 7pm, our next meeting will take place on September 25th. Check the PTSA Calendar for additional dates and what will be going on at each meeting.
- Help Raise Money Through Grocery Shopping - simply sign-up for Giant or Harris Teeter to donate to QOHS anytime you use your bonus or club card. Information and sign-up is online and easy!
- Mock SAT/ACT - Whether you are taking one of the tests this year still, or would just like to see where you need to prepare, this is an opportunity to practice for the new SAT or ACT under realistic conditions. It's also a great way to help figure out which test may be better for your student to take. The cost is just $20, for more information and how to sign up, go to https://www.c2educate.com/localevents/quince-orchard/. The meeting to give the test results will be held a week or two after taking the test, you'll get your results back quickly.
- Reflections Program - Last year's competition was a huge success, see how QO students have done by checking out the Arts Awards page. Reflections was created by the National PTA to be an arts recognition and achievement program for students. The program provides opportunities for students to express themselves creatively and to receive positive recognition for original works of art inspired by a pre-selected theme, while increasing community awareness on the importance of the arts in education.
- Greg's Driving School - The first name in Drivers Education! On campus, in your community. Classes at QOHS. Cars at QOHS! Our partnership with Greg's Driving School has had a tremendous, positive impact on our school and QOHS community. For every registered student, the QOHS PTSA receives $50, that is paid forward to our school. Greg's Driving School, the first name in Drivers Education for our QOHS families! Click here for flyer
These tutoring companies come highly recommended by students and parents in the QO Community. Each of the companies has sponsored the Q.O.H.S Academic Achievers Program that recognizes our hard working students:
Membership forms and volunteer forms are available online and can be mailed to the school office or placed in the PTSA mailbox in the office. Membership fees fund:
- Membership in the National, State, and Local PTA's
- Voting rights at meetings
- Book Fair, College Fair, and the Mock SAT/ACT tests.
- New Initiatives
- Academic Achiever Assemblies
- Increase PTSA Membership 5%
- Partner with adminstration, staff, and students to focus on the importance of educational excellence.
- Build awareness of how the PTSA supports educational aspects of the school.
How to Stay Connected:
- Join the PTSA-Booster Club Google Group
- Review the QOHS Home Page weekly
- Attend Back to School Night, September 7th
- Attend the Grade Level Parents Meetings during the year
- Attend PTSA meetings or join in on the new webinar connection
- Create an account and regularly check to see your student's grades, important class information, attendance, and teacher information through the new MCPS Portal and MCPS Classroom - details on the myMCPS Information Page.
- Visit the MCPS Website where you can sign up to receive emergency message announcements and monthly newsletters
President – Traci DiMartini
Vice President - Muhamaad Tahir
Treasurer – Steve Lanham
Assistant Treasurer – Lauren Cain
Secretary - Rachel Potts
MCCPTA Delegate –
QO Cluster Representative - Paul Morrison
QO Cluster Coordinators - Rama Tanfirala
Please contact us with your ideas!
- To support and speak on behalf of children and youth in the schools, in the community, and before governmental agencies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children.
- To assist parents in developing the skills they need to raise and protect their children.
- To encourage parent and public involvement in the public schools of this nation.
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, community and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relation the home and school relationships, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education.