The Montgomery County Board of Education is pleased to announce the resumption of the national search for the next superintendent of schools for Montgomery County Public Schools, who will begin serving on July 1, 2016. Working in partnership with the search firm of Hazard, Young, Attea and Associates (HYA), the Board is committed to hiring the best person to lead our school system in the 21st century. The search will be guided by the
tenets of the school district's strategic planning framework
desired characteristics gathered in the spring of this year from input by stakeholders in Montgomery County
Board Appoints Interim Superintendent, Will Continue Search for New Leader
On May 20, 2015, the Montgomery County Board of Education appointed Mr. Larry A. Bowers as interim superintendent of schools for the 2015-2016 school year. In the coming months, the Board will determine how it will move forward with the search for a new superintendent, who will begin serving on July 1, 2016.
Update on Superintendent Search (May 17, 2015)
On May 17, 2015, Dr. Andrew Houlihan, who was identified as a preferred candidate for superintendent of Montgomery County Public Schools, informed the Board he was withdrawing his name from consideration. The Board is continuing the process of searching for a new superintendent.
Read the Board President's statement
Board of Education Receives Report on Community Input
Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates (HYA) has provided to the Board of Education the Leadership Profile Assessment Report for a new superintendent for Montgomery County Public Schools. The data contained in this report were obtained from a series of individual and focus group sessions held with key stakeholders, three open community forums, four general focus group meetings, and an online survey completed by more than 700 participants.
Public Meetings Were Held
All Montgomery County citizens were invited to a series of public forums as part of the superintendent search process. The forums were intended to give MCPS students, staff, parents, and community members the opportunity to identify the educational priorities and leadership qualities they would like to see in the next MCPS superintendent.
Dates and Locations the Public Meetings Were Held
Wednesday, March 4, 2015, at 7:00 p.m.
- Location: Eastern Middle School, 300 University Boulevard, East Silver Spring, MD 20901
- Interpretation available in: Amharic, French, and Spanish
- Location: Walter Johnson High School, 6400 Rock Spring Drive, Bethesda, MD 20814
- Interpretation available in: Korean and Spanish
Thursday, March 5, 2015, at 7:00 p.m. -Sessions Canceled Due to Severe Weather-
- CANCELED- Location: Gaithersburg High School, 101 Education Boulevard, Gaithersburg, MD 20877
- Interpretation available in: Chinese, Korean, and Spanish
- CANCELED-Location: Paint Branch High School, 14121 Old Columbia Pike, Burtonsville, MD 20866
- Interpretation available in: French, Spanish, and Vietnamese
NEW-Tuesday, March 10, 2015, at 7:00 p.m.
- Location: Gaithersburg High School, 101 Education Boulevard, Gaithersburg, MD 20877
- Interpretation available in: Amharic, Chinese, French, Korean, Spanish, and Vietnamese
FLYER: Information on the Superintendent's Search Public Forums in 7 languages.
Watch: Special Edition of Education Matters about the Superintendent Search
Watch a special edition of Education Matters: Board of Education President Patricia O'Neill discuss the superintendent search with Hank Gmitro, President of Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates (HYA)
Board of Education President Patricia O’Neill’s Letter to the Community
English | español | 中文 | français | tiếng Việt | 한국어 | amharic