Swimming and Diving 2016-2017
WCHS Swimming and Diving 2016 - 2017
Coach: Chris Tappis
- The following forms must be completed and returned to Coach Tappis (room 134 or 136) by Friday, November 11 th . All forms can be found at the following website:
- Pre-participation Physical Evaluation Form
- Medical Card for Athletes
- Student-Parent Participation Contract and Parent Permission Form
- Consent Form ImPACT Baseline Concussion Testing
- MSDE Concussion Awareness and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness Parent/Student-Athlete Acknowledgement Statement
- MSDE Pre-participation Head Injury/Concussion Reporting Form for Extracurricular Activities
- No one is able to participate in any practice until these forms have been turned in.
- Tryouts will take place on Wednesday, November 16 th from 5:30-6:30am. Here are some specifics about tryouts:
- Wednesday's tryout will be a time trial. Each swimmer will be timed in a 100m freestyle and a 50m non-freestyle stroke of their choice. All swimmers must participate. Divers will be evaluated on a variety of dives.
- Tryouts take place both days at the Kennedy Shriver Aquatic Center (KSAC) - formerly known as the Montgomery Aquatic Center (MAC). The address for KSAC is:
5900 Executive Blvd.
Rockville, MD 20852
- Swimmers and divers are responsible for their own transportation to and from KSAC.
- The final team roster will be posted outside room 136 before school on Friday, November 18 th .
- Practices will be held on Mondays from 3:00-4:00pm and Wednesdays from 5:30-6:30am at KSAC. All team members are expected to attend practice for the full hour , but team members who practice at least 6 times per week with a club team may opt out of getting in the water. If you have a conflict that prevents you from being at our practices for the full hour, please speak with me directly.
- Swimmers and divers who need to miss a practice must contact me prior to the absence via e-mail with a valid excuse. If you habitually miss practice or are late, you may be asked to leave the team.
- The fastest swimmers and the best divers will compete each week with the understanding that lineups may fluctuate from meet to meet, depending on in-season performance and the opponent that week. The lineup for each meet will be emailed to the team no later than Thursday evening for Saturday's competition.
- Postseason meet lineups will be constructed using team members' best in-season performances.
- If you know that you cannot attend a meet, you must inform me via email at least six days in advance.
- If you have an emergency after the line up has been posted and cannot swim or dive, email me immediately and call one of the captains. Captain phone numbers will be released at a later date.
- All meets must have parent volunteers which are provided by both teams. Please encourage your parents to volunteer so that meets run smoothly and on time.
- Cancellations of practices or meets due to inclement weather will follow the MCPS guidelines for all athletic teams. Refer to the MCPS homepage for inclement weather announcements. I will also email the team as soon as I find out information as well.
- To earn a varsity letter, swimmers and divers must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Score in a divisional dual meet (relays count)
- Compete in any postseason meet (Divisionals, Metros, Regionals, or States)
- Achieve at least one Metro qualifying time
Sportsmanship and Behavior:
- Respect for all… yourself, your team, your teammates, your school, your coach, your parents, other teams and competitors, the pools, and the sport!
- Behavior - Be the example: always welcoming, inclusive, and positive.
- Sportsmanship - Be spirited, cheer, set goals, participate, be involved, and most of all HAVE FUN!
By joining WCHS Swim and Dive Team you agree to abide by ALL of the guidelines above.
Coach: Chris Tappis