Wellness Initiatives for Employees*
If you are covered by an MCPS-provided medical insurance plan through CareFirst, Cigna, or Kaiser Permanente, you can learn more about your health and reduce your contributions to your health insurance with the Wellness Initiatives program. To take full advantage of these rate reductions, complete a biometric health screening and a health risk assessment yearly, and, if you use tobacco, consider quitting.
Need more information about the Wellness Initiatives program? Read the spring 2015 issue of For Your Benefit and Frequently Asked Questions.
Already completed your screening and/or assessment? Find out if you have received credit for your Wellness Initiatives participation.
Biometric Health Screenings
Complete a biometric health screening of your blood pressure, blood sugar, body mass index, and cholesterol between October 10, 2016 and October 6, 2017—and again each year by the announced deadline. If you do, MCPS will pay 1 percent more of the total cost of your health insurance (medical, prescription, dental, and vision) in 2018—reducing your contribution by 1 percent.* Enrolled in a two-party or family medical plan? Only you—the medical-plan subscriber—needs to complete a screening to earn the incentive.
- Sign up for a Well Aware biometric health screening that is associated with your medical insurance plan. You must have a confirmed appointment to participate in the screening.
- Visit your primary care physician for your annual physical.
- CareFirst plan members—You must have your physician complete and sign a CareFirst Health and Wellness Evaluation Form. To submit the form, log in to the CareFirst website and click on Blue Rewards under Quick Links. As a reminder, you do not need to meet any medical standards. The form simply needs to be completed by your primary care physician. Read CareFirst's instructions on completing a biometric health screening.
- Cigna plan members—You do NOT need to complete a form. Cigna verifies biometric health screenings and annual physical information automatically. Make sure your doctor visit is being billed as an annual physical and not as a sick or diagnostic visit.
- Kaiser Permanente plan members—You MUST log in to the Kaiser Permanente web page to confirm your participation in the Wellness Initiatives program and determine if you must meet any additional requirements.
- Maintain the rate reduction by completing a biometric health screening each year within the announced timeframe.
Health Risk Assessments
In addition to a biometric health screening, you can save another 1 percent of the total cost of your health insurance by completing your medical insurance plan's online health risk assessment between October 10, 2016 and October 6, 2017—and again each year by the announced deadline.* For two-party and family plans, only the MCPS subscriber needs to complete an assessment to earn the incentive.
- Visit your medical insurance plan’s web page (CareFirst, Cigna, or Kaiser Permanente).
- Log in to your password-protected account. (You may need to create an account first.)
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Maintain the rate reduction by completing the health risk assessment in its entirety each year within the announced timeframe.
Smoker (Tobacco-user) Surcharge
MCPS imposes a surcharge to the total health insurance costs of employees who are covered by an MCPS-provided medical plan if they or their covered spouses smoke or use other forms of tobacco. To avoid this surcharge, employees and their covered spouses need to be tobacco free for 12 months prior to January 1 of each year. Effective January 1, 2018, the tobacco surcharge will increase to 25 percent; it will remain at 3 percent throughout 2017.
During Open Enrollment each fall, if you are covered by an MCPS-provided medical insurance plan, you will need to attest to whether or not you and your covered spouse will be tobacco free throughout the current calendar year. If you do not attest for both yourself and your spouse, or you attest to one or both of you not being tobacco free throughout the current calendar year, your contribution to your health insurance (medical, prescription, dental, and vision plans) will include the surcharge.
You must make your tobacco-use attestation each fall during Open Enrollment via the Employee Self-Service web page.
*If you are covered by a prescription, dental, and/or vision plan, but do not carry medical insurance through MCPS, you may complete a biometric health screening, but will NOT be eligible for the 1 percent reduction. You will NOT be able to complete a health risk assessment, however, since they are offered only through the medical plans.